Friday, May 20, 2011

Teaching music

Since I discovered this Science E-Summer Camp online ($87, I think) HERE, it got me thinking of fun, practical ways of teaching kids anything really.

My worry as a homeschooling parent is always that I'm not doing enough, teaching enough. Using the Accelerated Christian Education (ACE) teaching manual from Living Heritage Academy (LHA) of the School of Tomorrow HERE has been great. But since we've had to cram to finish it, regrettably, we've had to cut out a lot of the PE and Music stuff in it.

And since Matt's 7 and should really be doing more stuff, I've been worrying over how to teach him music and PE.

I always look forward to summer. Last year, we were able to enroll Matt in a Filipino summer class under Second Mom Domu Schola HERE.

Sadly, finances have been tight lately and I never did find a decent summer program for Matt this year. And, sadly, summer flew by as we were finishing up this LHA manual. Hopefully, we can enroll in the summer camp online since it's a lot of fun projects which I know Matt will love.

If we had the resources, I would have loved to enroll Matt in either an art class or a taekwondo class. I also found some cooking classes for kids in Katipunan but it would have been impractical to commute all the way there 3 times a week. Here's a list of places offering summer programs HERE. (It's an old list, but just to give you an idea of what's out there.)

So I console myself into thinking PE need not be complicated. All I have to do is go swimming with Matt more often, which sadly, we always forget to do. Or just let him run around the playground to play with the other kids. Of course a more structured class would be great, but since finances are tight, what else can we do. Matt would love to learn golf too.

Was browsing online for how to teach music to kids and didn't really have any idea on how to start. But the stuff I found online are pretty boring, like teaching notes and rhythm. Then I thought of teaching through a historical perspective, emphasizing the classics. But that was also too complicated, since it teaches music history from a timeline perspective.

Phineas and Ferb History of Rock

Then I remembered the episode of Phineas and Ferb, my favorite episode, where the band that got their parents together gave them a brief history of rock and roll. I also remembered my younger brother's love of Jack Black's movie "School of Rock". (We should really get a copy of this so Matt can watch it.)



And I started wishing there was such a thing as a school of rock and roll.

I found these: real true-to-life School of Rock HERE and a proposed free rock and roll curriculum HERE.



I also remember how Forrest Gump was tied in to how he "taught" Elvis to dance the twisting knee action that made him famous.

Anyway, for now, this will have to do. Check out this cool History of Rock and Roll Powerpoint presentation HERE. Just click on the link and it'll ask you to save the file right away. Seriously, it rocks.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! my son is 3 yrs old and music class for us is just singing (even if we don't get the lyrics right all the time) and dancing (though it seems like we are just jumping all over the place). i guess it's a start for music appreciation. he loves little einstein (that may be too kiddie for you son). we watch glee (only the performances) and music videos on youtube too =)

    ReplyDelete