Thursday, January 26, 2012

On why we write

We write to expose the unexposed. If there is one door in the castle you have been told not to go through, you must. Otherwise, you'll just be rearranging furniture in rooms you've already been in. Most human beings are dedicated to keeping that one door shut. But the writer's job is to see what's behind it, to see the bleak unspeakable stuff, and to turn the unspeakable into words -- not just into any words but if you can, into rhythm and blues.

- Bird by Bird, Anne Lamott

1 comment:

  1. Oh I really like this. Food for thought indeed- latey I've ben wondering why the heck I feel the need to expose so much when I write- now I'm getting an "OO!" moment. :) Thanks for the compliment over on my blog- I ASSURE you- it was momentary insanity- not sure I can replicate the experience- the page jumped into my head complete- it must be nice to have that happen often-I usually have to muddle through all my choices and second guess everything- it was a welcome change to just be.

    ReplyDelete