Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I have a dream

I have a dream. It's this book called "Manila 2060". But you have to help me write it.

What do you imagine heaven is like? For me, heaven is this giant playground where kids play. There is no heaven or hell. We're all little kids playing with each other. And there's only one rule: You're not allowed to hurt anybody, even yourself.

Yesterday, I finally imagined that the playground became a little bigger. So, not just kids are playing now, their parents are watching over them and playing with them and chatting with other parents.

"Manila 2060" is a novel I've been working on for a couple of years now. It basically states that the end of the world will happen in 2060.

Since I'm Filipino, my focal point is Manila, a shortcut term some people use that encompasses the entire Metro Manila, the capital of the Philippines.

But there's a part of me that wants the end of the world not just to be about a giant earthquake, or about people ending up either in heaven or hell. I think even God, the angels, and the demons are tired of that story.

So I imagined a world which my son and husband would love, a sci-fi universe.

For moms and kids who watch "Ben10" on Cartoon Network, they know what I'm talking about.

I believe, in the context of the novel I'm working on, that those worlds already exist. And there's this cool kid who has a special watch. But instead of him using the watch just to transform into any kind of alien he wants, he also changes aliens based on the world he's visiting.

So that's the dream, that's the book. Any further insights or anything you care to add would be deeply appreciated.

But here's the part where we can all be involved in "writing" the story.

Imagine that the world will really be ending in 2060. What dreams, nightmares are you living now? Do you want the end of the world to cause your most beautiful nightmares or dreams to come true?

So, basically, this is what I ask of every person who reads this.

Please spread the word. Ask people to visit this blog post. And to dream of a better dream. Or to add to the dream. Or to make our most beautiful dreams come true.

I don't know about you. But the world is already so full of suffering and hate. Innocent children are either being killed or attacked or, worse, used as child soldiers all over the world. Innocent children are being exploited, used, abused, sold, neglected, or, worse, forgotten.

We adults, children, need to hold hands and imagine a more beautiful dream. For the sake of the children. For the sake of the child who still lives inside each of us, the child who never stopped dreaming.

This is why I got confined to the loony bin. This is why people thought I was crazy.

Because I had a beautiful dream. And I wanted it to come true, right now, that I ended up shouting at all the neighbors.

And I made sense. I wish you could have been there.

But, in the end, there were only four adults listening to me. And my son. The security guard, a fellow mom, a janitor, and my husband.

So, what do you say? Are you ready to make your most beautiful dreams come true?

****************************************************************
Conversations about "Manila 2060":
Randolf: What about putting in wars?

Matt: After the war, everybody gets a happy ending. But those who don't like it, the bad guys, always get hurt and go to jail.

5 comments:

  1. How about if i you put some warhammer 40k universe partly tita....

    here's a site of my fantasies tita.
    http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_40k_Wiki

    Randolf po ito :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randolf dear, what if it's a multitude of worlds? What if we can assign one world to war? Would that be okay? =) I imagine the holodeck of the Star Trek Enterprise starship where boys go to your world, the war world, whenever they want to fight in a war. Let me know what you think. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, it's a world with worlds in it. You can have adventure, romance, wars in it. Hmm, it's like a microcosm of the entire worlds city I'm trying to create. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Family importance.... hmmmm like a general having his son going to fight for the planet in desperate hours with all others.



    Randolf po ito

    ReplyDelete
  5. i will wait for your story, nina. do take care.

    ReplyDelete