Sunday, September 15, 2013

When I was little...


When I was around 8, I was the only girl that ran with the boys on the street. They were mostly my younger brother's friends.

When I was around 11, we had two nuns talk about being missionaries in front of the student audience. And one nun talked about eating snakes in Africa while they were there. I was probably the one who kid who thought, hey, I wanna try that someday. Maybe just to try out what a snake tastes like and maybe to travel.

When I hit high school, I was maybe 13, I discovered I had a gift for storytelling. We had to find a story and deliver it in front of the class. I didn't place in the competition, but I gave myself some slack. The girl who won as best storyteller of our entire year level was in the same class as me.

The following year, I learned I could deliver speeches really well. And high school meant just more than writing and doctoring science experiments so they could have a .99% error accuracy rating.

And teachers liked me. They decided I could speak to my fellow students because I came from them and I could speak really well.

Somewhere amidst all that, I dreamed about becoming a priest. Yes, a priest. Because I loved attending mass and Sunday School (yes, I consider myself Catholic AND Christian, to me, there's no difference). I dreamed I would someday be able to deliver a message people needed to hear.

Maybe someday, when I finish my book, the message will finally be delivered.

But, for now, I am just praising God. Because He is not a boring God. He doesn't just ask us to turn the other cheek all the time. Sometimes, he asks us to laugh, to dance, to play, to love, to live, to hurt, to cry, to experience life.

So, for today, for whoever needs to hear this message, I hope you hold on a bit more. Yes, it's tempting to give in to the darkness and just wallow in self-pity. Yes, I do that more often than I care to admit.

But I'm here. And you're here. And you're reading my words.

Everything is going to be okay. If you don't believe me, look up. The sky, the clouds, the rain, the sun, the stars, will always remind you that there must be something greater happening all around us. Or else we wouldn't be here, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment