Sunday, April 6, 2014

My young adult and new adult faves

So... I have a guilty pleasure that I've been indulging in for a while. Blame it on Meteor Garden?


Meteor Garden
When I fell in love with all things asianovela, Taiwanese, and manga/anime.

Or maybe Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone?


My absolute favorite YA book - Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Maybe I'm just trying to catch up on the fact that there are just so many amazing young adult (target readers are aged 17 and below) and new adult (for ages 18+) literature that is coming out now that I'm dying of envy. Why didn't they have these books when we were kids? (Then again, the first time our high school implemented computer classes was in 4th year and the internet didn't really boom until I was in college and afterwards. Yes, I'm that old. Lol.)

What's so cool about all these writers and creators is that their ages range from the very young (the author of Diary ng Panget wrote it when she was only 19) to people around my age (30somethings). Not sure how old J. K. Rowling was when she wrote the Harry Potter series.


Harry Potter series... What I wish I grew up with. 


Diary ng Panget
It's a toss-up on which I loved more - the books or the movie. :)

But anyway, my point being, I love the fact that kids nowadays (more like teens and those in their 20s and older) have such a vast array of choices of books and films to choose from.

Here are some more of my faves:


The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
This is kind of a heavy film so I haven't actually watched it again. But it's definitely a classic.


Beautiful Creatures
There was a time I watched this over and over and over again. Still do.


The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
Runes, nephilim, gorgeous black leather outfits and the cutest couple.

So now... I'm just waiting with bated breath for the Daughter of Smoke and Bone movie and I can die happy.... Wait. I might want to wait until they make Trese into a movie. :)


Trese series written by Budjette Tan and illustrated by Kajo Baldisimo
The most amazing local literature I've ever read. Well, it should say something that my local literature loves are just Nick Joaquin and this. (Yes, it's that good.)

Hmm, did I miss anything? Oh, this is my latest discovery. Warning: New Adult. For ages 18+. The lead character is 19, if I remember correctly.


Foreplay by Sophie Jordan. Well, the title says it all.

Hope you discovered something new and do drop me a line if you have any recommendations for me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment