Monday, July 7, 2014

What is the work you can't not do?



How to find and do work you love

Scott Dinsmore


***

There are so many inspiring people in the world.

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of "genius" kids, kids who are inventing things, entering college at 14 years of age, kids who are making a difference.

How many people can say they've made a difference in the world? Or even simply living a life of passion and authenticity?

See, I know a thing or two about passion. My spiritual emergency was the most extreme example that once I love and care about something, about even just an idea, I give my heart and soul to it.

Because, sometimes, if we don't find our passion and live it, life can rapidly fall into boring. And it's just a hop, step, and skip away from wanting and wishing our life ended right then and there.

My son Matt said something the other day just from watching an episode of Spoongebob. It was the episode when Squidward found a community of his people and he thought he was living the perfect life he'd always dreamt of. And he rapidly found himself bored and going crazy, acting exactly like the people he hated, Spongebob and Patrick.

And Matt said: "That's why you can't have everything perfect. That's why you have to have the messes. Or else it will be boring."

Wise words from a 10 year old.

I just stared at him for about 3 seconds before grabbing my phone to upload this message as a Facebook status.

Truly, he got it. 

So, the question is, what messes are we letting into our lives so it's not so perfect and we're happy and having the time of our lives?

Me, personally, I lead a quiet, simple life. And I've always tried to be grateful. And I am grateful.

But I wonder if God also gave us dreams and longings so that we could make a difference. So that, someday, we can say we lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment