Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Dyeing watercolor paper

So during the weekend my husband helped me to dye some 12 x 12 watercolor paper I've wanted to play with.

He boiled the coffee and tea for me and I poured them on the watercolor paper with a wet sponge.

Here are the results with the tea. This is just Lipton teabags boiled in water, around maybe four of them, boiled in a pot then poured over the paper with a sponge. I poured tea on the paper, let the paper drip a bit from hangers. Then we boiled the teabags again and poured the tea on the paper a second time.

Then we let the paper dry flat on the table on the balcony to air-dry.




And here are the results with the coffee. This was Nescafe instant black coffee, boiled in a pot, then poured over the paper with a sponge. Hubby says one batch was enough to make about five cups of coffee. I let the paper drip a bit from hangers then we poured another batch of coffee, another five cups' worth, on the paper.

Then we let the paper dry flat on the table on the balcony again to air-dry.




The reason I haven't done this method before is that I'm paranoid my artwork/paper will eventually be crawling with ants or vermin. But, so far, apart from the coffee smell, the paper hasn't attracted any unwanted animals. Maybe just my husband. *big smiley*

The paper dyed with tea doesn't smell like anything anymore. But, yep, the coffee smell is undeniable.

Been itching to take out my stamps to play on them. But haven't had the time yet. Oh well, a step at a time.

P.S. Thanks, Renfield aka AR for the assistance!

No comments:

Post a Comment