Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The Truman Show Delusion - The New Yorker



I'm the kind of person who tries not to make a stand or an opinion. I am always in fear of being corrected or proven wrong once I do voice my opinion.

And yet people who know me know I am one of the most opinionated people they know.

I guess I'm more afraid of being judged or to look dumb or ignorant, which is why I keep quiet about my opinions. Only when I know the person on the listening end is a similar soul with the same wavelength do I voice my opinion out loud.

But this video of a psychologist droning on and on about someone else's experience/s or a lot of other people's experiences, and then daring to dub it as mere "delusion", pisses me off.

Don't talk to me about something that I went through, diagnose it as if you know what you're talking about, and then give me a pill to make me feel better.

I seriously hope and wish that the psychology world learns a bit more compassion and just plain common sense thinking, in my opinion.

Unless you've gone through it, screw you. I won't listen to your opinion.

(OR at least be open-minded enough to actually listen to somebody who experienced it. Shut up, for once, and open your ears and your mind.)

Anyway, I was just talking earlier about doing less research. But I'm really relieved I stumbled on this topic in a friend's Facebook account.

Just because I don't trust or believe in most of what this guy said, the idea is interesting as it perfectly summarizes just one of many things someone experiences in a spiritual emergency.

No comments:

Post a Comment