Monday, August 3, 2015

So this just happened...


    You know that moment when you're so overwhelmed that something amazing just happened and you're left blinking that it actually happened?

    So that's me at the moment.

    Okay, so I joined this online writing class for urban fantasy and paranormal romance. (I'm working on two novels, one a 3-part thing and the other a Young Adult book. I need all the help I can get.)

    And, in the process, I read four authors I'd never read before. (Well, technically, the other one is an anthology.)

    So I realized yet again, now more than ever, how very talented Pinoy writers are.

    Not only are the works of the moderators of the class the actual required reading of the class, but we get to interact with them and pick their brains, basically, on how to actually get published.

    I am not there yet.

    I need to focus on, as Kate Evangelista says, getting the writing done. There wouldn't be anything to edit or sell if there's no book, so I need to actually put butt to chair and write.

    Last Saturday, we got to meet Mina Esguerra, Paolo Chikiamco and Kate in the flesh. And I'm still absorbing the stuff they had to say.

    And I was lucky enough to sit right beside Kate's mom and I was on full fangirl mode. I said, my only problem with digital books is that I didn't have an actual book for Kate to sign.

        And then Kate comes over and we have a lovely conversation about how she got started and basically... I'm just starstruck at how this Pinoy author came to be published in the USA and, as I told her, her work is at par or even better than what's available out there. Truth. Not just because she decided to take pity on my sorry ass and gave me a package of awesomeness.

    So if you're looking for awesome Pinoy writing, look up Budjette Tan and Kajo Baldisimo's Trese, Mina Esguerra, Paolo Chikiamco, Marian Tee, and Kate Evangelista. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.


Find a review HERE.
Find Trese on Amazon HERE and on buqo HERE.

And of course your local bookstore.

(Do join the Facebook group HERE. Just saying.)


Find Mina V. Esguerra's Amazon page HERE.
Find her on buqo HERE.

You can read Mina's story, Gifted Little Creatures, for free on buqo HERE


Find Paolo Chikiamco on Amazon HERE.
Find him on buqo HERE.

And of course your local bookstore.


Find Marian Tee on Amazon HERE.
Find her on buqo HERE.

You can read some of Marian's books for free on buqo.


Find Kate Evangelista on Amazon HERE.
Find her on Swoonreads HERE.
(Oh, and totally check her out on Wattpad HERE.) 

(Oh do try and check her book, Til Death, out in National Bookstore and Powerbooks. 
It is available but in limited quantities. Ask customer service to order the book if it's out.)

* buqo is an e-bookstore partnered with Ookbee, the no. 1 e-bookstore app in Thailand. buqo is available online and as an app from the Apple and Google Play stores.

    buqo also happens to be the official sponsor of our class. So, in a month or so, expect the collection of stories from the class to appear in the store.

    To check out some of the stuff we talk about, just look up #StrangeLit on Twitter.


P.S.  And to Kate, for being such an inspiration, and for going out of your way to encourage someone who's just starting out, my deepest gratitude. You are amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment